Thursday, 10 January 2013

Day Ten: Maps Aren’t Just For Fantasy Novels

Look what I found:

Moon - Whole

That’s pretty nice, right? It’s not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it will be more than good enough for my needs. It’s laminated, so I can draw all over it today, lists all of the major geological features, and features all Ranger, Surveyor, and Lunik landing sites (though the Apollo sites are strangely absent).

There’s also a slightly surreal feeling to it…At least for me. The image quality is great, but the colors are slightly off, like they did some correction to add definition and then dialed the contrast way up. It makes the craters look as carved and as ancient as they really are. Like each one is miles deep. The whole thing feels sort of huge and mythic. It may not be the best image of the moon that I’ve ever seen, but I think it’s among my favorites.

I’ll be back with more tonight, but I wanted to leave you with a close-up of the junction between the Mare Serenitatis and the Mare Tranquillitatis, which is where I’ve chosen to place the McMurdo hub. Right there around the Dawes and Plinius craters.

Moon - Close

Also, special thanks in this case to the staff of The Learning Center here in town, for obliging me as I asked a ton of questions and for selling me the print off of their wall when it turned out to be different from the one they had in stock. I’m very sorry to hear the you folks are going out of business.

 

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment