Sunday, 13 January 2013

Day Thirteen: On Reinventing

Or, rather, reconsidering.

I’ve been re-reading some of my posts today, wondering over whether or not I’m doing what I set out to do with this site. In the last week, I’ve been putting down a tremendous amount of notes and posted quite a bit of it here…but I’m afraid that much of it has just been context-free info dumping. There hasn’t been much exploration of the process, much examination (though last night actually came out pretty nicely in that regard, I thought), no matter my intentions. And, in addition to that not being particularly helpful for those of you who are in this to learn about the noveling process, that’s just downright crummy writing.

And with that in mind, I’m going to try and do things a little differently next week. I’m planning to work on characters next week, and that gives me a little bit of an interesting opportunity. See, I’m kind of a traditionalist when it comes to the kind of detective novel that I’m forming this story around. The characters, in particular, tend to fit themselves into certain slots and tropes (though these are, mind, not necessarily universal) and I think the work that I’ll be doing with developing my own characters will be a nice chance for me to examine those traditional roles and where my folks may or may not fit into them.

So, yeah, we’ve got that to look forward to, I suppose. And maybe a couple of little odds and ends that fell through the cracks over the last few days.

That’s week two, readers. Thanks for still being here!

 

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment