Edit: It occured to me this morning that maybe not every entrant might want to go to the moon, so I'm adding Trash City as an optional place for the walk-on to occur. There are now alternate questions for numbers 6 & 7 to accommodate this.
So, remember how I was talking about putting my friend Coley into the book somewhere as a kind of wedding gift? Well, I was working on her character yesterday and I got to thinking that writing someone into this novel might work well as a contest prize.
Here’s the idea: You send me the answers to the following series of questions, and I’ll pick one entrant to receive a walk-on role in the novel, as well as one free copy of the finished work in the format of the winner’s choosing (printed or e-book). All entries must be received by 12:00PM Eastern Standard Time, on February the 1st, 2013, and they must be sent to email@example.com.
I’m also—and it pains me a little to say this—going to limit any potential international winner to a free e-book copy of the novel. Sadly, I’m just not made of money. Any prize granted will be delivered in a reasonable amount of time following the completion and release of the novel, and winning does not make you eligible for early access to the text in any way.
Okay, with that out of the way…Here are the questions you’ll need to answer. Please be as thorough as you can in your answers:
- What is your name, and what do you prefer to be called?
- What is your age, and do you mind being aged up to what your age would be in 2047?
- Describe yourself to me. Height, weight, and build are good starting points, but do you have any prominent or defining facial features? How do you like to wear your hair?
- Where are you from, and do you have an accent?
- Can you tell me a little bit about your background? Nothing too personal. Just baseline descriptions of what you do, what you went to school for, whether you’d have a spouse or any other family members who are likely to be on the lunar surface somewhere.
- Who do you want to be in 2047? What might you be on the moon to do? Would you prefer to be working for the UN, as a researcher for a nation or university, or maybe for one of the corporations? Basically: What do you bring to McMurdo-Lunar? (Alternately: What do you bring to Trash City?)
- Why do you want to go to, or live on, the moon? (Alternately: Why do you want to live and work at the Trash City site?)
- You walk into a bar and sit down. What are you likely to order?
Eight questions. It’s as simple as that. Just go ahead and think about those, send your answers to the provided email address by noon on February 1st, and you could get yourself featured in this thing in some small way. Cool? Cool. I’ll be posting a couple of little reminders here and there as we get closer to the closing date.