Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Day Forty-Three: 1,221 Words

Last night, I posted the complete first draft of the prologue to A Body Up the Well, otherwise known as The Novel At the End of This Blog. The posted text represents the sum output of my first day of writing, and keeps me neatly on track so far for my target of one thousand good words a day. Let’s look at it, though, for the sake of having something to talk about while I work on today’s output:

I did 1,221 words yesterday, spread across (barely) five pages. In them, I introduce our protagonist, Dow, and his wife, Marisol, while trying to give a taste of their home life and the type of man that Dow is as I also wrap Dow into the first strings of the plot. Having reviewed it now, there are a lot of things that I like about these pages, and some that I don’t.

For instance, I think that it’s paced pretty well, and I think that the broad strokes of the characters are mostly in place. In future drafts, I’d like to change Dow’s approach to the house a little—presenting his movements and observations with more of the flavor of tactical decisions—to give some more insight into his background and mindset. I’m also a bit worried that by having Dow and Marisol’s first interaction be that he assumes she’s leaving him, I’m overplaying my hand too early on that subplot. I think that it plays okay, and I like that it immediately shows off that Dow is a “Worst Case Scenario” kind of guy, but it might be too much for the second page. The bit later where he bites back a retort at her shouting therapy nuggets from another room is probably a better example of where I should be right now.

There’s also this paragraph, which is just complete crap:

Not that the black phone would have cared about gender equality. Bio-keyed military hardware was particular about its users. Dow almost explained, but Seb ought to know about it just as well as he did. Besides, he was just glad that the man wasn’t so keyed up that he couldn’t give him shit.

Seriously. I don’t even know what I was thinking. The second half barely makes sense as sentences, and the first…Well, I like that Dow’s thick enough that he would rely on his phone as proof to Seb that he’s not a misogynist, but I’m not sure how it plays. The whole paragraph will be up for restructuring later on.

Also; I’m kind of in love with the idea that there’s a news network in the future that uses a fake Walter Cronkite as it’s anchor. It’s kind of a riff on the current holographic performer fad, and the idea of people bringing back Tupac as a machine-ghost to do shows. It’s something that will probably come up again later.

All told, I still think that yesterday was a pretty successful first outing. We’ll just see how things go today, with trying to catch up the word count after being at work all day…

 

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment