Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Adventures in Not Writing

Hi there. It's been a while.

So, this has been kind of a rough year so far. I won't go into too much detail, but the bottom line is that I didn't get any called in for any classes this semester so I'm basically unemployed. Add that to a car wreck, some good friends leaving the state suddenly, and a recently aborted attempt to do that myself—and I've really not been in a place where I want to write or work on things.

Basically, I spend a lot of time looking for work and thinking about how much I hate looking for work. The rest of my time is pretty much divided between reading and drifting between side projects.

It's difficult, trying to work through this kind of constant, low-level distress. You try to power through it, but, eventually, the way that you feel starts to color everything that you do. Nothing looks or feels quite right, but you don't know how to fix it because the problem isn't in the work, it's in you. You can't just stop feeling anxious and sad about things, so you slowly start to drift away from them. You decide that you can wait it out. That you can come back to your life later.

That's kind of what I've been doing. Or, at least, that's the closest that I can come to articulating it right now. It's one of those things that just gets worse and worse until it starts to get better somehow.

The good news is that I seem to be coming out of the slump lately. I revisited the current draft and the outline a few days ago, and I've started making a series of tweaks to them that resolve a lot of the problems that I had with the third act of the Ver# 0.4.0 outline. I've also made the necessary changes to the current draft that will make it line up with those changes. I've also revisited the post-mortem that I promised for Dog Star Palace (Yes: I actually wrote it. And also yes: I ended up not posting it because I was sad and didn't want to be on the internet. That's just the kind of great month that January was.) and started making some changes to it that should make it a little more informative while also including some bits about how my mood influenced the work. I'm also starting to compile some guest articles.

That's all coming along soon or soon-ish, so keep an eye out, okay? I'm ready to get some stuff done here, and I'd like for all of you to share in it with me.

 

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment