Saturday, 17 May 2014

March Reading List

March Reading List

  • The Darwin Elevator – Jason M. Hough – Del Rey, 496 Pages, 2013.

A strong debut centered around an intriguing sort of apocalypse. Not sure how it’ll play out over a series, but I’m also willing to give it a shot.

  • Star Wars: Empire & Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves – James S.A. Corey – Del Rey, 288 Pages, 2014.

Even if this weren’t one of the best Star Wars books in ages (and I know my Star Wars books), this would be noteworthy for having the Corey name on it and for the exceptional quality of its acronym: S.W.E.A.R.H.A.T.

  • The Shining Girls – Lauren Beukes – Mulholland, 384 Pages, 2013.

I’m not going to lie. March was a great reading month for me, and it was mostly because of The Shining Girls. Beukes started strong as a writer, and has consistently gotten better with each novel. I’m absolutely ashamed of myself for letting this sit on my shelf unread for a year.

  • The Martian – Andy Weir – Crown, 384 Pages, 2014.

Started the month by finishing off the last fifty pages of Weir’s debut, and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s a tense and informative survival story, and the science is portrayed cleanly and concisely.

  • B.P.R.D.: 1948 – Mike Mignola & John Arcudi – Dark Horse, 144 Pages, 2013.

An interesting story, though not exactly the one described on the tin. I like that these digressions into the Bureau’s past are starting to come together into a more cohesive narrative, but I’m beginning to wonder how they might come to tie in to what’s going on in the series’ main story. Also, they stopped putting volume numbers on these, and I don’t know where to keep them on the shelf…Which is more frustrating for me than seems reasonable.

  • Saga, Volume 3 – Brian K. Vaughn & Fiona Staples – Image, 144 Pages, 2014.

Saga! It’s really great. It has always been really great, and it continues to be really great now! You should read it. Everyone should read it. All of the time.

  • The Walking Dead: All Out War, Part One – Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard – Image, 136 Pages, 2014.

Kind of disappointed that they’ve broken the finale for this arc into two pieces. I suppose it does need it, and there are some excellent set-pieces throughout this volume, but I’m ready for this particular story to be over…The longer that it goes on, the more that I think this series could use a departure from it’s status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment