I’m going to let you in on a little secret: The name that I’ve been using for the book? Yeah, A Body Up the Well? Well, I totally HATE IT. It’s a terrible title for dumb people and I’m stupid for coming up with it.
Which…Well, it’s not so strange an attitude for me. I come to titles early in my work, and I get really attached and find ways to work them into the story. Then I figure out that they’re not any good, because they were my absolute first impulse and your first impulse is rarely any good when you’re writing. The only thing to do is just roll with it and then change it when the time comes.
So that’s what I did. A couple of months ago. Probably should have mentioned it before now.
Anyway, the new title of the novel is The Long Lunar Night. Which is a much better title, and the end result of a process of sitting down, listing potential titles, and then writing comments on them where I tell myself how shit they are/I am. It’s a fairly simple thing. Took about an hour and a half. The page that I did it on in my production notebook is below: